Tuesday, September 3, 2013

An Unexpected Blessing

Last week Josh and I received a blessing in a way we never have before. Now that I am married and commute to school, I rarely check my school mailbox. In fact, I turned in my key last week because it is so useless to me. I hadn't checked my mail since we moved off campus and even since before that. I opened the box and pulled out a handful of mail. As I went through it I saw coupons to Whataburger and a few other places that always hand out coupons to college students at the beginning of the year. I saw a few wedding invitations of weddings that had past and I opened a generic letter of a friend who would be going on a mission trip. The last piece of mail was an envelope with my mailbox address as the return address and the main address. I didn't even think twice about it when I opened the envelope. Inside I found a piece of paper with Matthew 6:25-34:

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.  But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.  “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.




There was one more piece of paper inside. As I dug in to see what it was, I got a quick glimpse of the top of the paper which had a dollar amount on it. I pulled it out and saw that an anonymous giver had blessed Josh and I with some money. This had also been sent to us in April. 

What this anonymous giver didn't know is that this summer we took a step of faith in continuing to only have a part-time job so that I could stay home with Paisley and so that Josh could focus on ministry.  We also moved in with my parents because we had to move out of our apartment and could not commit to a long-term lease.  Therefore, our mileage doubled in traveling to the church and tripled when I started school this fall.  What this anonymous giver also didn't know beforehand was that after Paisley was born, Josh and I traveled to Texas for a wedding and on the way Paisley got sick and we took her to the hospital. Without any insurance. 

Although we took a step of faith this summer, it has by no means been easy. People have said over and over again, "Well, at least you are saving money" (by living with my parent's). But in fact, we aren't. I quit working right before Paisley was born which brought us down to one, part-time income.  Although I was confident when Josh and I made this decision this summer, I have found myself complaining to God over and over again. I have found myself frustrated with the amount of money we spend on gas and the distance we drive for church.  I found myself questioning where we would find the money to pay for unexpected medical bills.

I have been reading through Philippians and learning a few lessons from Paul.  Paul, a prisoner at the time, writes to the church at Philippi:  I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.


If Paul has learned to be content (even while in prison), I can learn to be content in our situation.  After all, the Lord has given us family who support us (even when our decisions might not make sense) and friends who pray with us as we make big decisions for our family.  We have a place to live and an abundance of clothes, food, toys, and diapers for our daughter.  I am blown away by the generosity of family, friends, and even strangers.  Before Paisley was born, we received a large bag of clothes from a friend's cousin that we have never met.  A neighbor bought her a few outfits.  Our cousins give us clothes and toys every time we see them.  Church members continue to give us diapers and MORE clothes! Let's just say, I don't think Paisley can wear every outfit we own before she outgrows them.

And although this season of our life has been tough, The Lord has used this anonymous giver to remind me that He is my provider and I have nothing to worry about when I follow Him and trust Him. After all, he clothes the grass of the field and feeds the birds of the air. How much more does he care about His own children?  

Anonymous giver, if you are reading this, thank you for taking a step of faith and blessing us. Although you sent this gift in April, we received it at the perfect time.  We pray blessings over you and are so thankful that you are allowing The Lord to work through you.

No comments:

Post a Comment